Seafood poisoning – United States
The Vibrio infection was likely acquired through an oyster cut. The patient experienced necrotizing fasciitis, organ failure, and sepsis.
The 61 year old patient was hospitalized and died on July 30, 2021.
Vibrio infections can occur from eating raw or undercooked seafood. Some species can enter the body from contaminated water through an open wound.Seafood poisoning is the result of ingestion of Vibrio bacteria in raw or undercooked seafood, usually oysters. It is the is the predominant cause of the acute gastroenteritis caused by bacteria associated with consumption of seafood.
Symptoms are an explosive watery or bloody diarrhea accompanied by vomiting, cramps and sometimes fever. The symptoms usually resolve withing 72 hours.
Outbreaks tend to be concentrated along coastal regions during the summer and early fall when higher water temperatures favor higher levels of bacteria. Seafood most often implicated includes squid, mackerel, tuna, sardines, crab, conch, shrimp, and oysters and clams.
It is advised that elderly people, pregnant women and very young children should avoid eating raw or lightly cooked shellfish to reduce their risk of getting food poisoning.
While you are here, help us with
Access to Essential Drugs
One third of children, women and men have no access to essential medicines, putting lives at risk. Hospitals frequently run out of medicines and other essential supplies. Our Med-Aid program connects hospitals with aid and ensures that they receive exactly what they need.
Access to Diagnostics
Much of today’s innovation is either not reaching or not suitable for people in developing countries.
Data to Improve Health
Faster and reactive systems to help provide lifesaving support to vulnerable communities.
Support our work. It only takes a minute but makes a world of difference!
With your help we can bring modern diagnostics and essential medicines to people in need, track disease outbreaks better and help prevent future pandemics.