Seafood poisoning – Bahamas The
At least 10 people were affected by conch poisoning in the Bahamas.
Conch poisoning is commonly caused by Vibrio parahaemolyticus. This bacterium can be present on raw conch if not washed off properly.
10 people with conch poisoning were admitted to Princess Margaret Hospital.
The Bahamas health officials caution people to avoid eating raw conch until the source of contamination can be detected.
Photo: Vibrio parahaemolyticus is a bacterium in the same family as those that cause cholera. Electron micrograph.
Seafood poisoning is the result of ingestion of Vibrio bacteria in raw or undercooked seafood, usually oysters. It is the is the predominant cause of the acute gastroenteritis caused by bacteria associated with consumption of seafood.
Symptoms are an explosive watery or bloody diarrhea accompanied by vomiting, cramps and sometimes fever. The symptoms usually resolve withing 72 hours.
Outbreaks tend to be concentrated along coastal regions during the summer and early fall when higher water temperatures favor higher levels of bacteria. Seafood most often implicated includes squid, mackerel, tuna, sardines, crab, conch, shrimp, and oysters and clams.
While you are here, help us with
Access to Essential Drugs
One third of children, women and men have no access to essential medicines, putting lives at risk. Hospitals frequently run out of medicines and other essential supplies. Our Med-Aid program connects hospitals with aid and ensures that they receive exactly what they need.
Access to Diagnostics
Much of today’s innovation is either not reaching or not suitable for people in developing countries.
Data to Improve Health
Faster and reactive systems to help provide lifesaving support to vulnerable communities.
Support our work. It only takes a minute but makes a world of difference!
With your help we can bring modern diagnostics and essential medicines to people in need, track disease outbreaks better and help prevent future pandemics.