Norovirus – India
At least 100 people became ill after drinking lassi (yogurt beverage) at a market in Odisha’s Malkangiri district on Friday.
It is believed that either the lassi drink was either fake or was contaminated by the seller. The majority of people experienced extreme stomach aches and vomiting upon returning home from the market.
60 people became seriously ill around midnight where they rushed to the hospital. A local fire service team is shifting more patients in critical condition to the hospital.
A laboratory is testing a beverage sample to find the source of contamination.
Photo: Norovirus particles electron micrograph.
Norovirus, sometimes referred to as the winter vomiting bug, is the most common cause of gastroenteritis.
Infection is characterized by non-bloody diarrhea, vomiting, and stomach pain. Fever or headaches may also occur. Symptoms usually develop 12 to 48 hours after being exposed, and recovery typically occurs within 1 to 3 days.
This may be through contaminated food or water or person-to-person contact. Risk factors include unsanitary food preparation and sharing close quarters.
While you are here, help us with
Access to Essential Drugs
One third of children, women and men have no access to essential medicines, putting lives at risk. Hospitals frequently run out of medicines and other essential supplies. Our Med-Aid program connects hospitals with aid and ensures that they receive exactly what they need.
Access to Diagnostics
Much of today’s innovation is either not reaching or not suitable for people in developing countries.
Data to Improve Health
Faster and reactive systems to help provide lifesaving support to vulnerable communities.
Support our work. It only takes a minute but makes a world of difference!
With your help we can bring modern diagnostics and essential medicines to people in need, track disease outbreaks better and help prevent future pandemics.