Leptospirosis – India
A 9-year-old girl died from suspected leptospirosis infection in Mumbai, India infection in a hospital in Mumbai, India.
The girl was hospitalised on June 24 after experiencing vomiting, abdominal pain and high fever. She succumbed within 24 hours after being admitted to the hospital.
In total, eight cases of leptospirosis were recorded in Mumbai in June 2021.
Photo: Electron micrograph of leptospira bacteria.
Leptospirosis is a bacterial disease that affects humans and animals. In humans, it can cause a wide range of symptoms, some of which may be mistaken for other diseases. Some infected persons, however, may have no symptoms at all.
Signs and symptoms can range from none to mild (headaches, muscle pains, and fevers) to severe (bleeding in the lungs or meningitis).
The bacteria are spread to humans through animal urine, or water and soil contaminated with animal urine, coming into contact with the eyes, mouth, nose or breaks in the skin.
Without treatment, Leptospirosis can lead to kidney damage, meningitis (inflammation of the membrane around the brain and spinal cord), liver failure, respiratory distress, and even death.
The disease was historically known as "rice field jaundice" in ancient Chinese texts, "autumn fever", "seven-day fever", and "nanukayami fever" in Japan. The bacterium causing the disease was identified in 1908 in Japan.
While you are here, help us with
Access to Diagnostics
Much of today’s innovation is either not reaching or not suitable for people in developing countries.
Access to Essential Drugs
One third of children, women and men have no access to essential medicines, putting lives at risk.
Data to Improve Health
Faster and reactive systems to help provide lifesaving support to vulnerable communities.
Support our work. It only takes a minute but makes a world of difference!
With your help we can bring modern diagnostics and essential medicines to people in need, track disease outbreaks better and help prevent future pandemics.