Gastroenteritis – India

Share on twitter
Share on facebook
Share on reddit
Share on email

40 persons took ill after having dinner at a function in Peddapur of Metpally mandal, India, late on Friday night (Feb 5).

A small party was thrown celebrate finishing the construction of a home. The guest were served mutton curry and makka gudalu (maize). At least 40 of the 60 villagers who participated in the function developed symptoms of food poisoning like diarrhea and vomiting later in the night.

They were admitted to various hospitals on Saturday. While 25 persons were admitted in different hospitals in Metpally and Korutla, 15 were given treatment in their houses by medical staff.

According to villagers and medical staff, makka gudalu (prepared with corn soaked for several days) was the main reason for food poisoning.

Photo: Artist rendering of a pathogen.

While you are here, help us with

Access to Diagnostics

Much of today’s innovation is either not reaching or not suitable for people in developing countries.

Access to Essential Drugs

One third of children, women and men have no access to essential medicines, putting lives at risk.

Data to Improve Health

Faster and reactive systems to help provide lifesaving support to vulnerable communities.

Support our work. It only takes a minute but makes a world of difference!

With your help we can bring modern diagnostics and essential medicines to people in need, track disease outbreaks better and help prevent future pandemics.

Support the WoIDMo's work

We do not rely on government sponsorships to ensure that we can operate independently

Your support is what keeps us going

  • Share this page to help raise awareness
Share on twitter
Share on facebook
Share on reddit
Share on email
  • Sign up to receive emails with updates on our work

Follow us