Gastroenteritis – India

Share on twitter
Share on facebook
Share on reddit
Share on email

Over 170 persons were hospitalised of suspected food poisoning, after they consumed food at a government function in Karbi, Assam, India.

A 35-year-old man who reportedly attended the programme in Diphu on Tuesday died at his residence.

Food samples have been sent to Guwahati Medical College and Hospital for analysis.

198 people reported sick on Tuesday with stomach cramps, vomiting or diarrhoea. They were all part of the programme to launch the first academic session of the MBBS at the new Diphu Medical College and Hospital and were handed two food packets, including one with sweet and other snacks and another one which had Egg Biryani.

35 had been admitted to the hospital. Most people who were admitted have meanwhile been released.

State’s health department is conducting an enquiry.

Photo: Artist rendering of a pathogen.

While you are here, help us with

Access to Diagnostics

Much of today’s innovation is either not reaching or not suitable for people in developing countries.

Access to Essential Drugs

One third of children, women and men have no access to essential medicines, putting lives at risk.

Data to Improve Health

Faster and reactive systems to help provide lifesaving support to vulnerable communities.

Support our work. It only takes a minute but makes a world of difference!

With your help we can bring modern diagnostics and essential medicines to people in need, track disease outbreaks better and help prevent future pandemics.

Support the WoIDMo's work

We do not rely on government sponsorships to ensure that we can operate independently

Your support is what keeps us going

  • Share this page to help raise awareness
Share on twitter
Share on facebook
Share on reddit
Share on email
  • Sign up to receive emails with updates on our work

Follow us