Shigellosis – India
At least 8 people were diagnosed with with the contagious shigella bacteria in Kerala.
A one and a half year old child was admitted to a hospital in Kozhikode following complaints of acute stomach pain and diarrhoea. Doctors confirmed on Thursday morning that the boy was infected with Shigella bacteria that leads to intestinal disease shigellosis. Since then more cases of shigella were detected there.
People are also advised to follow good hygiene standards at home such as boiling water and washing and cooking food sufficiently before consuming it.
Shigellosis is an infection of the intestines caused by Shigella bacteria. Symptoms generally start one to two days after exposure and include diarrhea, fever, abdominal pain, and feeling the need to pass stools even when the bowels are empty. he diarrhea may be bloody. Symptoms typically last five to seven days and it may take several months to fully recover. There is no vaccine and Shigellosis usually resolves without specific treatment.
Photo: Shigella flexneri micrograph, one of 4 bacteria types causing Shigellosis.
Globally shigellosis occurs in at least 80 million people and results in about 700,000 deaths a year. Most cases occur in the developing world. Young children are most commonly affected.
While you are here, help us with
Access to Diagnostics
Much of today’s innovation is either not reaching or not suitable for people in developing countries.
Access to Essential Drugs
One third of children, women and men have no access to essential medicines, putting lives at risk.
Data to Improve Health
Faster and reactive systems to help provide lifesaving support to vulnerable communities.
Support our work. It only takes a minute but makes a world of difference!
With your help we can bring modern diagnostics and essential medicines to people in need, track disease outbreaks better and help prevent future pandemics.