E. coli – Japan
3 453 students and others at 15 public schools in the city of Yashio, Saitama Prefecture, eastern Japan, fell ill after eating a salad harboring E. coli bacteria.
Students had developed symptoms including stomach pains and diarrhea after eating the school-lunch provided salad.
The cause of the food poisoning was found to be that wakame seaweed and seaweed salad mix ingredients were not heated up to kill bacteria after being soaked in water.
School lunches remain suspended at the city’s schools, and students are expected to bring their own packed lunches until August 4.
Most types of E. coli are harmless and even help keep your digestive tract healthy. But some strains can cause diarrhea if you eat contaminated food or drink fouled water.
Photo: E coli at 10 000 x magnification.
While you are here, help us with
Access to Diagnostics
Much of today’s innovation is either not reaching or not suitable for people in developing countries.
Access to Essential Drugs
One third of children, women and men have no access to essential medicines, putting lives at risk.
Data to Improve Health
Faster and reactive systems to help provide lifesaving support to vulnerable communities.
Support our work. It only takes a minute but makes a world of difference!
With your help we can bring modern diagnostics and essential medicines to people in need, track disease outbreaks better and help prevent future pandemics.